With eight months until the Olympic Games in Rio, four years of training are coming to a head for U.S. Olympic hopefuls. For some, the coming year will see long-held goals fulfilled, while others may face crushing failures. What’s certain is that for each, 2016 will be a year they never forget.
This appears in the December 28, 2015 issue of TIME.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction