Comedian and television personality Steve Harvey was left red-faced at the end of Sunday’s Miss Universe pageant in Las Vegas, when he mistakenly announced the wrong winner in front of thousands of spectators and millions of viewers of the competition’s live telecast.
Host Harvey initially announced Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutiérrez as the winner. She was accordingly presented with the winner’s sash and tiara. But then Harvey realized his mistake. Confusion and stunned looks ensued as the host sheepishly said “O.K., folks … I have to apologize.”
He then clarified that the Philippines’ Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach was in fact Miss Universe 2015.
“I will take responsibility for this,” he added, calling it a “horrible mistake.”
See the cringeworthy moment for yourself.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow