A shooting spree in Knoxville, Tennessee, injured one person and killed a high school football player who was hailed as a hero after police say he died shielding three girls from gunfire. One of the gunmen was also killed.
The violence came in three separate spurts Thursday, starting at around 7:18 p.m. ET, Knoxville police said, when shots were fired at a house with two people inside: 46-year-old resident Lisa Perry and an unnamed 10-year-old.
Perry was hit multiple times in the lower back, police said on Facebook, and was transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The child was not. . .
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases