Star Wars: The Force Awakens had record-breaking Thursday night opening sales.
The movie brought in $57 million during its Thursday night opening in North America, according to the Wrap. Disney executives expect the blockbuster to rake in at least $200 million over the course of the opening weekend, Variety reports.
The previous record-holder for a Thursday night preview was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, which earned $43.5 million in 2011.
The juggernaut began playing to fans Thursday evening, and is going to roll out into the widest December release of all time, hitting more than 4,000 by Friday. Its Thursday numbers put it on track to become the first movie ever to make $100 million in a single day.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List