Star Wars: The Force Awakens had record-breaking Thursday night opening sales.
The movie brought in $57 million during its Thursday night opening in North America, according to the Wrap. Disney executives expect the blockbuster to rake in at least $200 million over the course of the opening weekend, Variety reports.
The previous record-holder for a Thursday night preview was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, which earned $43.5 million in 2011.
The juggernaut began playing to fans Thursday evening, and is going to roll out into the widest December release of all time, hitting more than 4,000 by Friday. Its Thursday numbers put it on track to become the first movie ever to make $100 million in a single day.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now