Tashfeen Malik and Syed Rizwan Farook, the shooters behind the San Bernardino, Calif., attack that killed 14 people, were buried Tuesday in a quiet funeral guarded by FBI agents, reports Reuters
The husband and wife died in a shootout with police shortly after carrying out their attack on Dec. 2.
The funeral, which was carried out according to Islamic traditions, was sparsely attended — most Muslims in the San Bernardino community expressed their desire to distance themselves from the couple.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far