There are few things more enjoyable and humorously entertaining than cute animals and their offspring making amusing expressions, acting in surprising ways or awkwardly mocking human gestures.
Whether they’re fluffy, scaly or spiny, mighty or meek, quadruped, winged or finny, this year again the surprising world of animals doesn’t disappoint. Some of these critters made headlines, such as the seemingly placid hippo that escaped the flooded zoo in Tbilisi, Georgia; others saddened, such as the traumatized orangutan rescued with her baby; and others endlessly astonished — who knew baby undulate rays had blissed-out smiles?
TIME presents a collection of unpredictable moments brought to you by the wild animal kingdom in the past 12 months.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up