A Secret Service officer was killed in a Tuesday shooting in southwest Washington D.C.
Authorities have identified the victim as USSS Uniformed Division Officer Arthur Baldwin, who had been assigned to the White House, NBC reports. The shooting took place around 2:45 p.m. on the 4700 block of 1st street.
Fox reports that Baldwin was off duty during the shooting; earlier this year he was put on leave and had his security clearance suspended following charges of first-degree attempted burglary and destruction of property over an April incident.
In a statement, the USSS said it was aware of the shooting and expressed condolences for the victim’s family.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow