Comedian Margaret Cho has accused the award-winning British comedy Absolutely Fabulous of racial stereotyping in its latest movie.
Cho, who has acted in 30 Rock and is known for her provocative stand-up routines, took to Twitter after discovering that Scottish actress Janette Tough was cast as Japanese fashion designer called Huki Muki in the forthcoming Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie.
She accused the film of yellowface, which like blackface, is described by Cho as “when white people portray Asian people. And unfortunately it’s happening in this film.”
Producers of the movie have yet to comment on the situation, the Independent reports. The Scottish actress has been spotted shooting scenes of the film in over-sized sunglasses, a short black wig and full-length coat.
The movie will reunite Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley, who play the chain-smoking duo Edina and Patsy.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive