Jordan Smith won NBC’s The Voice Tuesday night with a rousing rendition of “Climb Every Mountain” from The Sound of Music. Stars like Justin Bieber, Missy Elliott, and The Weeknd also performed to help close out the ninth season on a high note.
Throughout the season, the 22-year-old has been wowing viewers with his covers of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” Adele’s “Set Fire to the Rain” and Sia’s “Chandelier.” Last week, Maroon 5’s Adam Levine said Smith’s semi-final performance of “Somebody to Love” by Queen “one of the best things I’ve ever seen in my entire life.” Earlier in the season, he called Smith “the most important person who’s ever been on this show.”
A native of Harlan, Kentucky, Smith was raised by musicians who would sing anytime, anywhere. At the Christian college Lee University, where he was a member of the “Lee Singers,” he had the chance to perform at President Obama’s second inauguration.
And after Tuesday night’s finale, it is hard to believe that he had trouble getting on the show in the first place. People reports that he did not make the cut for Season 8 but decided to make another run for it and ended up snagging a spot on Season 9 after a blind audition.
Listen to the other songs that Smith performed during the two-part finale on Monday and Tuesday nights:
Usher’s “Without You” with the hip-hop artist himself:
“God Only Knows” with Adam Levine:
“Mary, Did You Know?” a holiday song popularized by Christian singer Michael English:
Celebrity guest performers Tuesday included Missy Elliott and Voice celebrity coach Pharrell, who performed their new single “WTF (Where They From)” on a set that looked like a fake subway station. Justin Bieber sang one of his latest hits “Sorry,” country music star Sam Hunt belted out “Break Up in a Small Town,” Coldplay performed “Adventure of a Lifetime,” and The Weeknd brought down the house with “The Hills,” “Earned It” and “Can’t Feel My Face.”
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World