As professional as the above ad looks, it surprisingly wasn’t made by the Johnnie Walker marketing team. The 90-second spot, titled “Dear Brother,” was created by two film students, Daniel Titz and Dorian Lebherz, from Germany’s Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg. Filmed in Scotland, according to Creativity, the haunting spec ad explores the bond between two brothers.
The pair makes their way across the rugged terrain of the countryside as a poetic voiceover describes their life together. They then sit inside a dilapidated farmhouse and share some Johnnie Walker whisky before journeying on to the cliffs to look out over the ocean. It’s here that the clip packs its final emotional punch.
The spine-tingling video was posted on Monday and has already gone viral with over a million views to date.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science