Kiefer Suterland, the Emmy-winning star of 24, will lead Designated Survivor at ABC, EW confirmed. The network has given the show a direct-to-series order.
The series comes from creator David Guggenheim (Safe House) and will be executive produced by Simon Kinberg (The Martian) and his production company Genre Films, Sutherland, and Suzan Bymel of Entertainment 360.
In the show, Sutherland plays a U.S. Cabinet member who becomes president after an attack during the State of the Union kills those above him in the presidential line of succession. It’s described as a conspiracy tale wrapped around a family drama.
The show, without an episode count, marks Sutherland’s return to TV since 24: Live Another Day in 2014. The lead studio on the project is Mark Gordon Company, which currently produces two ABC properties in Grey’s Anatomy and Quantico, in addition to CBS’s Criminal Minds.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org