Sports Illustrated named Serena Williams Sportsperson of the Year on Monday, citing her astounding record winning four Grand Slam Tournaments in a row, her grace in defeat when she was upset at the U.S. Open, and how outspoken she has been about issues of racism and sexism as a leader in the world of sports and culture.
But while everyone may know that Serena Williams is arguably the greatest living American athlete, here are a few non-tennis facts you may not have heard about the tennis star.
- Back in 2005, Serena and Venus Williams starred in their own reality show, Venus and Serena: For Real
- Both Venus and Serena Williams are part owners of the Miami Dolphins.
- She has competed in three Olympic Games and won four gold medals.
- She helped friend and Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg through the death of her husband.
- Williams is No. 47 on Forbes’ 2015 list of highest-paid athletes. The only woman ranked above her is Maria Sharapova, who has lost 18 of 20 head-to-head matches with Williams.
- Earlier this year, she chased down a man who tried to steal her phone and caught him.
- Serena Williams’ fashion mentor is none other than legendary Vogue editor Anna Wintour. She’s helped the tennis star refine her designs for two New York Fashion week shows.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer