Saturday Night Live spoofed this week’s naming of Angela Merkel as TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year in a skit on the the show’s “Weekend Update” segment.
Europe’s most powerful leader was once again played by Kate McKinnon, who tried to show Merkel’s happiness at the choice.
“I’m trying to celebrate,” McKinnon says while squirming in her best impression of Germany’s chancellor. “My body is rejecting it. Won’t let me do it.”
“Merkel” weighs in on the difficult year and how she handled it during the brief sketch.
“2015 has not been the easiest year,” McKinnon says before lifting up TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year issue. “Greece wanted to borrow more money. Syria asked if one million refugees could sleep on my couch.”
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears