Saturday Night Live spoofed this week’s naming of Angela Merkel as TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year in a skit on the the show’s “Weekend Update” segment.
Europe’s most powerful leader was once again played by Kate McKinnon, who tried to show Merkel’s happiness at the choice.
“I’m trying to celebrate,” McKinnon says while squirming in her best impression of Germany’s chancellor. “My body is rejecting it. Won’t let me do it.”
“Merkel” weighs in on the difficult year and how she handled it during the brief sketch.
“2015 has not been the easiest year,” McKinnon says before lifting up TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year issue. “Greece wanted to borrow more money. Syria asked if one million refugees could sleep on my couch.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science