Saturday Night Live spoofed this week’s naming of Angela Merkel as TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year in a skit on the the show’s “Weekend Update” segment.
Europe’s most powerful leader was once again played by Kate McKinnon, who tried to show Merkel’s happiness at the choice.
“I’m trying to celebrate,” McKinnon says while squirming in her best impression of Germany’s chancellor. “My body is rejecting it. Won’t let me do it.”
“Merkel” weighs in on the difficult year and how she handled it during the brief sketch.
“2015 has not been the easiest year,” McKinnon says before lifting up TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year issue. “Greece wanted to borrow more money. Syria asked if one million refugees could sleep on my couch.”
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time