Adele’s smash hit record 25 has now sold 5 million copies in the U.S.
At this level of sales, Adele is really only competing with herself. The last album to sell 5 million copies in one calendar year was her last album 21 in 2011, Billboard reports. Before that, it was Usher’s Confessions in 2004.
It’s a rare feat for an album to sell 5 million copies even in more than a year. In terms of total sales, there have only been 11 albums released since 2005 to do it, five of which are by either Adele or Taylor Swift. Others include Carrie Underwood’s Some Hearts (2005) and Josh Groban’s Noel (2007).
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk