Airbnb is to hotels as Uber is to taxis. An accommodations-booking platform with more than 2 million listings worldwide, Airbnb lets users rent out their unused space to travelers. It’s also known for its offbeat accommodations, like lighthouses and castles.
However, the site is not without controversy: Some critics argue Airbnb lets property owners run de-facto hotels in apartments intended for long-term housing, driving up real estate prices in some cities.
For more about Airbnb, watch the Tech Time video above.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve