Airbnb is to hotels as Uber is to taxis. An accommodations-booking platform with more than 2 million listings worldwide, Airbnb lets users rent out their unused space to travelers. It’s also known for its offbeat accommodations, like lighthouses and castles.
However, the site is not without controversy: Some critics argue Airbnb lets property owners run de-facto hotels in apartments intended for long-term housing, driving up real estate prices in some cities.
For more about Airbnb, watch the Tech Time video above.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time