There’s nothing like a British accent to lend an air of gravitas to the upstairs-downstairs class struggles on Downton Abbey.
But when Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville, and Allen Leech dropped by The Late Show on Wednesday, host Stephen Colbert asked them to drop the upper-crust accents in favour (see what we did there?) of American ones, and the results were … less than elegant. Dockery, in particular, adopted a Valley Girl accent the likes of which would be better suited to a reality TV mainstay rather than a well-bred, upper-class sophisticate.
Check it out above.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out