As Apple’s iPhone has grown more advanced over the years, so have the apps that run on it. Each year, Apple sifts through the thousands upon thousands of apps in its App Store to recognize the most noteworthy new apps and games.
This year’s list, which Apple published Wednesday, includes photography apps, communication apps, entertainment apps, and more. Periscope, the popular livestreaming app that Twitter acquired earlier this year, was named Apple’s App of the Year. “This game-changer made sharing and watching live videos an instant obsession,” Apple wrote.
The ranking comes as more app developers are beginning to integrate 3D Touch, a new mode of interaction that was introduced in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, into their apps. Since Apple’s new iPhones were introduced in September, popular apps such as The New York Times, Workflow, Instagram, Foursquare and Periscope have added new features that take advantage of this new pressure-sensitive capability.
Here’s a look at Apple’s favorite apps of 2015:
- Periscope by Twitter Inc. (App of the Year)
- Enlight by Lightricks Ltd. (Runner Up)
- Robinhood – Free Stock Trading by Robinhood Markets, Inc.(Runner Up)
- Workflow: Powerful Automation Made Simple by DeskConnect, Inc. (Most Innovative)
- Instagram by Instagram Inc. (Best App on the iPhone 6s)
- HBO Now by HBO
- Hopper – Airfare Predictions by Hopper
- Darkroom – Photo Editor by Bergen Co.
- Lark – Personal Weight Loss Coach & 24/7 Nutritionist by LARK
- The Everything Machine by Tinybop Inc.
- Pacemaker by Pacemaker Music AB
- Tandem – Language Exchange by Tripod Technology
- Jet by Jet.com
- Timeline – News in Context by Timeline.com, Inc.
- Vee for Video by Medious
- Fit Men Cook – Healthy Recipes by Nibble Apps ltd.
- Spark – Smart Email App for Work by Readdle
- RefME – Citations Made Easy by RefME
- Wildcard – Know the Day in News and Entertainment by Coopkanics Inc.
- Paper – Notes, Photo Annotation, and Sketches by FiftyThree, Inc.
- GIPHY CAM. The GIF Camera by Giphy Inc,
- PRY by Tender Claws LLC
- Reuters TV: Video News by Thomson Reuters
- Zova by ZOVA
- Blue Apron by Blue Apron Inc.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up