Angela Merkel is TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year. She is also the first individual woman to appear in the spot in 29 years. Before her, it was President Corazon Aquino of the Philippines in 1986, when the title was still called Man of the Year.
The 61-year-old German Chancellor joins the ranks of all those who have been recognized — newsmakers who have influenced the world, for better or worse — since 1927. See every past Person of the Year in just 15 seconds in the video below.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve