Angela Merkel is TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year. She is also the first individual woman to appear in the spot in 29 years. Before her, it was President Corazon Aquino of the Philippines in 1986, when the title was still called Man of the Year.
The 61-year-old German Chancellor joins the ranks of all those who have been recognized — newsmakers who have influenced the world, for better or worse — since 1927. See every past Person of the Year in just 15 seconds in the video below.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears