The day John Lennon died 35 years ago was also the day he gave his final interview, with Westwood One News. The radio interview was recorded a few hours before Mark David Chapman fatally shot the musician on Dec. 8, 1980, outside of Lennon’s apartment building in New York City.
In the interview, the former Beatle spoke of his desire for happiness and his creative process while recording “Double Fantasy” with his wife Yoko Ono.
“I would like to be a happy, contented person,” Lennon said. “I don’t want to have to sell my soul again to have a hit record.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science