A caretaker at a Philadelphia mosque found a severed pig’s head outside the building when he arrived for work early Monday morning.
Surveillance footage showed someone throwing an item from the window of a pickup truck driving past the Al Aqsa Islamic Society on Sunday night, NBC News reports. Police are currently investigating who might be responsible.
Pigs are considered unclean in the Muslim faith, and the Quran forbids eating pork.
The incident comes as many have begun to target Muslims. On Monday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump sparked outrage after proposing “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement