A majority of Americans do not believe the federal government should defund Planned Parenthood, according to a new poll.
The USA Today/Suffolk University poll found that 58% support continued federal funding for the organization, which provides health services, including abortions, to millions of women in the U.S. Only 33% said it should be defunded, while 9% were undecided.
Democrats were even less divided about the issue, with 89% saying federal funding should continue, while 59% of Republicans say Planned Parenthood should be defunded.
Both the House and the Senate have passed legislation to defund the organization; if the House sends the Senate version to the White House this week, as it is expected to do, President Obama has vowed to veto it. Last month, a shooter targeted a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, killing three.
The poll included 1,000 likely voters and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3%.
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk