The father of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook (who carries the same name), told an Italian paper that his son supported the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
In the interview with La Stampa, Farook said his son supported the ideology of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, and was “obsessed with Israel,” according to USA Today’s translation of the statement.
In a prior interview with New York Daily News, Farook said, “He was very religious. He would go to work, come back, go to pray, come back. He’s Muslim.”
Federal investigators are currently looking into whether the younger Farook’s wife, Tashfeen Malik, radicalized her husband, the Associated Press reports. Malik reportedly pledged allegiance to ISIS in a Facebook post that went up around the same time the duo embarked on their attack that killed 14 people.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com