Bill and Melinda Gates congratulated Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan for the birth of their daughter and lauded them for pledging 99% of their Facebook shares to charity on Tuesday.
Replying to an open letter Zuckerberg wrote to his daughter, Max, on Facebook, Melinda Gates commented, “Congratulations—we’re thrilled for both of you! Raising children is a great adventure and the best thing we have ever done together. You will be fantastic parents. As for your decision to give back so generously, and to deepen your commitment now, the first word that comes to mind is: Wow. The example you’re setting today is an inspiration to us and the world.”
The portion of Facebook shares that Zuckerberg and Chan plan to give away is currently valued at $45 billion.
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working