Bill and Melinda Gates congratulated Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan for the birth of their daughter and lauded them for pledging 99% of their Facebook shares to charity on Tuesday.
Replying to an open letter Zuckerberg wrote to his daughter, Max, on Facebook, Melinda Gates commented, “Congratulations—we’re thrilled for both of you! Raising children is a great adventure and the best thing we have ever done together. You will be fantastic parents. As for your decision to give back so generously, and to deepen your commitment now, the first word that comes to mind is: Wow. The example you’re setting today is an inspiration to us and the world.”
The portion of Facebook shares that Zuckerberg and Chan plan to give away is currently valued at $45 billion.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating