A suspected burglar died in California after being stuck in a chimney when the homeowner lit a fire without realizing the intruder was inside, police said.
It appeared that the man climbed into the chimney on Friday night while the owner was away and then got stuck, according to the Fresno county sheriff’s office. The owner of the home lit a fire on Saturday afternoon but then heard a man yelling inside the chimney as the house filled with smoke, the Guardian reports.
Firefighters who attempted to rescue the intruder, identified as Cody Caldwell, 19, broke apart the chimney with drills and chisels and found him dead inside. The cause of death was found to be smoke inhalation and burns. “I’ve been a deputy for 17 years now and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Jake Jensen of the sheriff’s office.