The White House was on lockdown Thursday after a man wearing an American flag jumped its newly upgraded fence while President Barack Obama and his family were inside the residence for the holiday, authorities said.
The man was apprehended about 2:45 p.m. ET on the North Lawn of the White House grounds — the “front door” side along Pennsylvania Avenue. Police said the man was carrying a manila folder, NBC Washington reported.
No further details were immediately available, but the situation was described as under control.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up