The White House was on lockdown Thursday after a man wearing an American flag jumped its newly upgraded fence while President Barack Obama and his family were inside the residence for the holiday, authorities said.
The man was apprehended about 2:45 p.m. ET on the North Lawn of the White House grounds — the “front door” side along Pennsylvania Avenue. Police said the man was carrying a manila folder, NBC Washington reported.
No further details were immediately available, but the situation was described as under control.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time