Although Rebekah Brown, 30, isn’t able to spend Thanksgiving with her late brother Joshua, she’ll be celebrating his memory in another way.
To honor Joshua, Brown held a special early Thanksgiving dinner with two men who received her brother’s donated body parts, Inside Edition reports. Among the dinners’ guests were Richard Norris, who underwent the first U.S. full face transplant in 2012 following a disfiguring gun accident in 1997, and John Jenkins, who was hours away from dying of heart failure before a 2012 transplant. Both Norris’s face and Jenkins’ heart came from Brown’s brother after he died in a car accident at the age of 21.
“I feel like there’s nothing more powerful than to give the gift of life back,” Brown told the program.
Watch a video of the dinner below:
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now