An 8-year-old girl in Centerville, Utah, has been diagnosed with secretory carcinoma, a rare type of breast cancer, making her one of the youngest ever to receive a breast cancer diagnosis.
Chrissy Turner found a lump in her chest last month, The Guardian reports. The news came as a shock not only due to her age, but also the fact that both her parents are cancer survivors. Annette Turner suffered from cervical cancer while her husband currently battles a Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma relapse.
Chrissy’s secretory carcinoma diagnosis accounts for only 0.15% of breast cancers and is “very treatable,” Chrissy Turner’s doctor Brian Bucher told the paper.
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical expenses. She will undergo a mastectomy in early December.
“I was scared to figure out what it was,” she told ABC TV in an interview. “But I knew I could fight it off and I hope that I can fight it off.”
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.