An 8-year-old girl in Centerville, Utah, has been diagnosed with secretory carcinoma, a rare type of breast cancer, making her one of the youngest ever to receive a breast cancer diagnosis.
Chrissy Turner found a lump in her chest last month, The Guardian reports. The news came as a shock not only due to her age, but also the fact that both her parents are cancer survivors. Annette Turner suffered from cervical cancer while her husband currently battles a Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma relapse.
Chrissy’s secretory carcinoma diagnosis accounts for only 0.15% of breast cancers and is “very treatable,” Chrissy Turner’s doctor Brian Bucher told the paper.
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical expenses. She will undergo a mastectomy in early December.
“I was scared to figure out what it was,” she told ABC TV in an interview. “But I knew I could fight it off and I hope that I can fight it off.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.