Jewish a cappella group The Maccabeats debuts its 2015 Hanukkah song on Time.com, a music video parodying Walk the Moon’s summer hit “Shut Up and Dance” called “Latke Recipe.”
Sample lyrics from the refrain:
Originally formed in 2007 at Yeshiva University in New York City, the a cappella group that bills itself as not “your grandfather’s synagogue choir” first went viral in 2010 with “Candlelight,” a Hanukkah parody of the Taio Cruz hit “Dynamite,” which has racked up more than 10.6 million views. Since then, the members have toured worldwide and even performed at the White House during a reception in honor of Jewish American Heritage Month. The group boasts over 25 million views on YouTube and albums such as Voices From The Heights and Out Of The Box.
Hanukkah begins the evening of December 6 and ends the evening of December 14.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Olivia B. Waxman at firstname.lastname@example.org