Jewish a cappella group The Maccabeats debuts its 2015 Hanukkah song on Time.com, a music video parodying Walk the Moon’s summer hit “Shut Up and Dance” called “Latke Recipe.”
Sample lyrics from the refrain:
Originally formed in 2007 at Yeshiva University in New York City, the a cappella group that bills itself as not “your grandfather’s synagogue choir” first went viral in 2010 with “Candlelight,” a Hanukkah parody of the Taio Cruz hit “Dynamite,” which has racked up more than 10.6 million views. Since then, the members have toured worldwide and even performed at the White House during a reception in honor of Jewish American Heritage Month. The group boasts over 25 million views on YouTube and albums such as Voices From The Heights and Out Of The Box.
Hanukkah begins the evening of December 6 and ends the evening of December 14.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction