Jewish a cappella group The Maccabeats debuts its 2015 Hanukkah song on Time.com, a music video parodying Walk the Moon’s summer hit “Shut Up and Dance” called “Latke Recipe.”
Sample lyrics from the refrain:
Originally formed in 2007 at Yeshiva University in New York City, the a cappella group that bills itself as not “your grandfather’s synagogue choir” first went viral in 2010 with “Candlelight,” a Hanukkah parody of the Taio Cruz hit “Dynamite,” which has racked up more than 10.6 million views. Since then, the members have toured worldwide and even performed at the White House during a reception in honor of Jewish American Heritage Month. The group boasts over 25 million views on YouTube and albums such as Voices From The Heights and Out Of The Box.
Hanukkah begins the evening of December 6 and ends the evening of December 14.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out