As an anti-terror police operation was underway in Brussels to search for Paris attackers, police asked residents to not share details of the operations on social media on Sunday evening. So instead, Belgians shared a lot of cat photos.
Using the hashtag #BrusselsLockdown, Twitter users in Brussels and elsewhere shared silly videos and photos of kittens as a way of downplaying the threat and mocking the extremists who launched attacks in Paris on Nov. 13. Here’s a sampling:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow