A 42-year-old Zimbabwean man named Mison Sere won the country’s fourth annual Mister Ugly contest on Saturday, enraging the fan favorite and his supporters, who claimed that Sere was “too handsome.”
Judges cited Sere’s missing teeth and capacity for unpleasant facial expressions in their decision, the Guardian reported. His rival, William Masvinu, who had held the title since 2012, said that Sere was “ugly only when he opens his mouth,” and therefore that he was not really ugly.
When Sere’s victory was announced, the crowd turned violent, mobbing the judges to contest the decision.
Sere, whose victory earned him $500, dismissed the criticism.
“They should just accept that I am uglier than them,” he said. “I hope to get a TV contract. I already moved around schools performing and showcasing my ugliness so this is a chance to make it on TV.”
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement