A 42-year-old Zimbabwean man named Mison Sere won the country’s fourth annual Mister Ugly contest on Saturday, enraging the fan favorite and his supporters, who claimed that Sere was “too handsome.”
Judges cited Sere’s missing teeth and capacity for unpleasant facial expressions in their decision, the Guardian reported. His rival, William Masvinu, who had held the title since 2012, said that Sere was “ugly only when he opens his mouth,” and therefore that he was not really ugly.
When Sere’s victory was announced, the crowd turned violent, mobbing the judges to contest the decision.
Sere, whose victory earned him $500, dismissed the criticism.
“They should just accept that I am uglier than them,” he said. “I hope to get a TV contract. I already moved around schools performing and showcasing my ugliness so this is a chance to make it on TV.”
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive