Nicki Minaj offered an inspiring rendition of Maya Angelou’s “Still I Rise” at A&E Network’s Wednesday night benefit concert, Shining A Light: A Concert for Progress on Race in America.
Several other notable musicians, such as Pharrell, Bruce Springsteen, John Legend and Sia, took part in the show to address racial inequality in America and raise money for United Way Worldwide.
Angelou’s poem broaches on the themes of racism, misogyny and sexuality, issues that Minaj has been outspoken about in the past, and the 32-year-old artist gave a fittingly stirring delivery of the piece. “Does my sexiness upset you? Does it come as a surprise, that I dance like I’ve got diamonds at the meeting of my thighs,” she recited to a cheering audience.
See the full reading below:
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time