[This article consists of an illustration. Please see hardcopy of magazine or PDF.]
Will Ferrell’s stepdad takes on Mark Wahlberg’s ne’er-do-well biological pop.
The Good Dinosaur
Pixar imagines a world in which the dinos never died. One of them adopts a boy named Spot.
In the Heart of the Sea
Ron Howard directs a seafaring epic about the doomed whaling ship Essex, which inspired Moby-Dick.
The over-the-top remake adds motocross, wingsuits and snowboarding to surfing, skydiving and bank robbery.
Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel reflect on life’s big questions in a film by Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty).
Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard grapple with an entirely different kind of spot.
The Big Short
The housing bubble of the aughts gets star treatment from Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling.
Directed by David O. Russell, Jennifer Lawrence plays the real-life woman who invented the “Miracle Mop.”
The Emperor’s New Clothes
Russell Brand jousts at the upper crust in a quasi-documentary about income inequality.
Janis: Little Girl Blue
This doc looks at rock’s most soulful, tragic sparrow.
Spike Lee turns the ancient Greek comedy Lysistrata into a meditation on black-on-black violence.
Writer-director Charlie Kaufman meditates on the nature of love and individuality with puppets à la Team America: World Police.
Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman) directs Leonardo DiCaprio in a Western revenge thriller.
Top filmmakers share their love for the French director’s influential book, Cinema According to Hitchcock.
The Hateful Eight
Quentin Tarantino’s western traps an octet of badasses in a haberdashery during a blizzard. Mayhem ensues.
This appears in the November 30, 2015 issue of TIME.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart