Saturday Night Live knows when to play it straight, and this weekend, the NBC show started on a serious note with a cold open by Cecily Strong.
“Paris is the city of light, and here in New York City, we know that light will never go out,” she said a night after the deadly Paris terrorist attacks. “Our love and support is with everyone there tonight. We stand with you.”
Strong then repeated the same message in French, before kicking off the show as usual: “And now, live from New York, it’s Saturday night.”
Watch it above.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving