Refrigerators are complex and beautiful machines. They’re also much more nuanced than you might expect.
For instance, did you know that the doors are the warmest, the bottom shelf the coldest, and the drawers the most humid? What about the fact that many fruits emit a gas that accelerates rotting in vegetables, so they should always be stored separately? Or that you should never put bread or wine on top of your fridge because the warmth will ruin it?
We made this simple graphic to help you maximize your food’s freshness.
More from Business Insider:
- A Japanese lifestyle guru explains how to organize your home once — and then never again
- 15 storage essentials to keep your pantry organized
- How To Clean Your Entire Apartment In 30 Minutes
- The only 3 knives you need in your kitchen
- Here’s a brilliant solution for anyone with a tiny kitchen in their studio apartment
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears