Refrigerators are complex and beautiful machines. They’re also much more nuanced than you might expect.
For instance, did you know that the doors are the warmest, the bottom shelf the coldest, and the drawers the most humid? What about the fact that many fruits emit a gas that accelerates rotting in vegetables, so they should always be stored separately? Or that you should never put bread or wine on top of your fridge because the warmth will ruin it?
We made this simple graphic to help you maximize your food’s freshness.
More from Business Insider:
- A Japanese lifestyle guru explains how to organize your home once — and then never again
- 15 storage essentials to keep your pantry organized
- How To Clean Your Entire Apartment In 30 Minutes
- The only 3 knives you need in your kitchen
- Here’s a brilliant solution for anyone with a tiny kitchen in their studio apartment
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time