A pit bull killed a 9-year-old girl playing the backyard of a home in a New York City suburb on Sunday, local police said.
Police shot and killed the dog and later arrested its owner on an unrelated charge, according to an Associated Press report. The girl was transported to a local hospital where she died.
The circumstances of the attack remain unclear. Neighbors told the AP that the dog had been gentle and the attack had come as a surprise.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases