The knife-wielding student who was fatally shot by police following a stabbing rampage at the University of California’s Merced campus was identified Thursday as 18-year-old Faisal Mohammad.
Mohammad was a freshman computer science and engineering major from Santa Clara, a Northern California community in the Bay Area, the Merced County Sheriff’s Office said. A motive for the attack, which wounded four people, was not immediately released.
Shortly before 8 a.m. Wednesday, police said, Mohammad burst through a second-floor room in the Classroom and Office Building and stabbed one student with an 8- to 10-inch blade. A construction worker who overheard the noise…
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases