Justin Timberlake’s Memphis, Tenn. roots were showing strongly on Wednesday night at the Country Music Association Awards in Nashville when he joined New Artist of the Year winner Chris Stapleton on stage for a couple of duets.
The pair joined forces on Stapleton’s “Tennessee Whiskey” and Timberlake’s “Drink You Away” and fans couldn’t have been more pleased.
“We had these nominations and thought we were gonna get, maybe, a slot to perform,” Stapleton told ABC News before the Wednesday night show. “So I called him up and asked him if he’d be interested in doing it and he was like, ‘Yeah man, I’m in. Just tell me when to show up.'”
Timberlake has repeatedly shared his respect for Stapleton on Twitter, style website Refinery 29 says. The upcoming artist also took home awards for Male Vocalist of the Year and Album of the Year on Wednesday night.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out