Incoming Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was expected to join an elite global club Wednesday by appointing women to 50 percent of his Cabinet positions.
The self-proclaimed feminist promised that his governmental inner circle would be gender-equal while campaigning. After initially trailing in the polls, Trudeau defeated incumbent Conservative Stephen Harper last month. His government was set to be sworn-in Wednesday.
The appointment of a gender-equal Cabinet would mean Canada enjoying than double the female representation of the United States; women make up just 25 percent of Washington’s Cabinet of 16.
“Canada has never really had a gender-parity moment before…
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time