The best part of every grilled cheese sandwich is the little bits of cheese that get crisped up in the pan and become crunchy, savory goodness. Turns out this little cooking “mistake” is actually called frico, and happens to be essential in making the best grilled cheese ever.
Don’t settle for a sandwich with cheese merely in between the bread. It is the 21st century, a time where cheese can live freely wherever it chooses on its bready domain. Get a little crazy and cover the outside of your bread in all that good ol’ cheddar.
Here is how you can maximize that glorious cheese crunch. You’ll never go back to a normal grilled cheese again — that’s a pinky promise.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
- 2 slices of bread of your choosing
- At least 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese, shredded (cheddar recommended)
- 1 tablespoon mayo or softened butter
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Heat a nonstick skillet. Spread either butter or mayo on the outside of the two slices of bread (for all the mayo haters — don’t knock it ’til ya try it.)
Cut in half and experience the magic of true love.
More from Spoon University:
- These 3-Ingredient Pizza Rolls Destroy Hot Pockets
- 15 Healthy Lunches That’ll Keep You Full All Day
- 15 Creative Chicken Recipes