Jon Hamm won his first Emmy this year, but he was plenty used to taking the loss. Before earning the trophy for the final season of Mad Men, Hamm had lost 15 previous times across multiple categories. “We’re getting into Lucci territory there,” Late Night with Seth Meyers host Seth Meyers told Hamm on Monday night.
But as with Susan Lucci, who went 19 nominations before finally winning, Hamm was always graceful in defeat. Even celebratory, as it turns out. As Hamm revealed to Meyers, he and Amy Poehler once threw an Emmy losers party.
“We decided we would test the fates, and we decided one evening, randomly, to have a losers party,” Hamm recalled. “We hadn’t lost yet. We were nominated, but we were so certain we were going to lose. We called it the Losers Lounge.”
According to Hamm, the rationale was simple. “There’s more losers than winners, they should get a party too,” he said. “Why shouldn’t it be our party? Because we could always get in.”
As the Mad Men star remembered, Emmy winners couldn’t attend the party unless they made a sizable donation to a charity of Hamm and Poehler’s choosing and ditched their Emmy at the door.
“Don’t even bring it,” Hamm said of the Emmys. “We don’t want to see it.”
- Inside the Death of a Rural Daycare
- Exclusive: Inside Ukraine’s Secret Effort to Train Pilots for U.S. Fighter Jets
- TIME’s First Interview in the Metaverse: How a Filmmaker Made a Movie and Fell in Love in VR
- How The Inflation Reduction Act Will Spur a New Climate Tech Ecosystem
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- Social Media Companies Like TikTok Hope to Fight Election Misinformation. Experts Say Their Plans Aren’t Enough
- How I Got My Students to Stop Staring at Screens
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma