Body-shamers: 0, Ariana Grande: 1.
“Curves are sexy sticks aren’t,” the commenter wrote, according to a screenshot shared by the “Focus” singer.
“Sigh …. tweets, comments, statement like this are not okay,” the singer wrote. “About anyone!!! We live in a day and age where people make it IMPOSSIBLE for women, men, anyone to embrace themselves exactly how they are. Diversity is sexy! Loving yourself is sexy!”
Grande continued, “You know what is NOT sexy? Misogyny, objectifying, labeling, comparing and body shaming!!! Talking about people’s body’s as if they’re on display ASKING for your approval / opinion. THEY ARE NOT!!!! CELEBRATE YOURSELF. CELEBRATE OTHERS.
“The things that make us different from one another make us BEAUTIFUL. BODY BOUNDARIES. LOVE LOVE LOVE ONLY.”
Winter, who recently underwent a breast reduction surgery and has been outspoken about body image issues among young women, cheered on Grande’s statement.
“Thank you @ArianaGrande,” the actress tweeted in response to the singer. “Women should empower one another.Celebrate each other- you’re all beautiful.”
This isn’t the first time Grande has shared her thoughts on body critics. Back in August, she shared a clip of herself waving goodbye and rolling up a car window and captioned it, “Me @ body shaming / slut shaming & other misogynistic / negative comments.”
In June, Grande earned praise when she wrote a feminist essay on Twitter after she had been asked about her rumored relationships with famous men.
“I am tired of living in a world where women are mostly referred to as a man’s past, present, or future PROPERTY / POSSESSION. I… do not. belong. to anyone. but myself. and neither do you,” she wrote.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy