Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie spoke emotionally Monday about Jolie’s choice to undergo a double mastectomy and to have her fallopian tubes and ovaries removed as something she did “for the kids.”
Pitt praised his wife’s courage in making the decisions in an effort to prevent cancer.
“There was no vanity to my wife’s approach,” Pitt said on the Today show. “It was mature … she was doing it for the kids, and she was doing it for her family so we could be together.”
Jolie underwent the double mastectomy in 2013, after a gene test concluded she had an 87% chance of developing breast cancer. The ovarian surgery earlier this year came after a blood test suggested she could have early-stage ovarian cancer. The moves sparked a national debate on preventative cancer treatments.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms