Wreckage found at the bottom of the ocean over the weekend is the sunken cargo ship El Faro, the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed Monday.
The wreckage was found Saturday in 15,000 feet of water east of the Bahamas.
The 790-foot ship went missing on Oct. 1 during Hurricane Joaquin as it was making a trip from Jacksonville, Florida, to San Juan, Puerto Rico.
All 33 crewmembers on board were lost.
The NTSB said Monday that crews would continue to survey the area. Authorities have said that their goal was to locate the…
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com