On his 60th birthday, John Maultsby of Las Vegas took a gamble and vowed to run a marathon in all 50 states. This past weekend, Maultsby, now 73, finished his 50th at the Anthem Manchester City Marathon in Manchester, New Hampshire, when he clocked in at 4 hours, 9 minutes, 15 seconds, the Associated Press reports. He has run seven marathons just this year, according to WMUR9.
Other senior runners who have made headlines include Harriette Thompson, a 92-year-old woman who was called the oldest woman to finish a marathon last summer, while Fauja Singh, 104, has been called the world’s oldest marathon runner.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time