The Power Rangers have found their yellow ranger: Becky G will play one of the mighty morphin’ “teenagers with attitude” in the upcoming Power Rangers movie, slated to hit theaters in 2017.
The pop star and actress born Rebecca Gomez—an alumna of TIME’s Most Influential Teens list—recently had a role on the second season of Empire. She’s also scored a handful of Top 40 hits with songs like “Shower,” “Break a Sweat” and “Can’t Stop Dancing.”
With her selection, the new cast of up-and-coming talent is now complete. Previously announced castings include Dacre Montgomery as the red ranger, Naomi Scott as the pink ranger, RJ Cyler as the blue ranger and Ludi Lin as the black ranger.
While the new movie has been described as a reboot of the 1993 television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, which spawned a theatrical film in 1995, Collider has reported that the project will be continuous with the current iteration of the TV show, Power Rangers Dino Charge.
The last time the rangers hit the big screen was in 1997 with Turbo: a Power Rangers Movie.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now