The White House tweeted an image in honor of “National Cat Day,” which was Thursday, that featured two familiar faces. Only one, however, was feline.
The so-called Grumpy Cat reached viral meme status in around 2012, but he’s recently gained new attention from the Commander-in-Chief. White House political director David Simas used the meme to illustrate the Republican primary debate on Wednesday night.
And last week, President Obama referenced the furious ball of fur while mocking Republicans.
“They are gloomy. They are like Grumpy Cat,”Obama said at the Democratic National Committee’s women’s leadership forum last week. Then (because of course he did) he made the face.
Watch the full clip below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com