The engine of an airplane carrying over 100 passengers caught fire on the runway at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Thursday.
Firefighters put out the blaze with foam and passengers were evacuated via the plane’s emergency slides. Airport spokesman Greg Meyer told CBS Miami that the plane’s engine had caught fire as it was preparing to depart for Venezuela. Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue told WSVN that 14 people were hurt in the fire. WSVN reports that the most serious injury was a burn, but most of the injured passengers suffered only minor injuries.
The Broward County Sheriff’s Office retweeted that there were “several” injuries:
The National Transportation Safety Board said it would send a team to investigate the incident:
The fire was on Dynamic Airways flight 405, which was supposed to leave for Caracas, Venezuela at 12:30 p.m.
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases