The engine of an airplane carrying over 100 passengers caught fire on the runway at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Thursday.
Firefighters put out the blaze with foam and passengers were evacuated via the plane’s emergency slides. Airport spokesman Greg Meyer told CBS Miami that the plane’s engine had caught fire as it was preparing to depart for Venezuela. Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue told WSVN that 14 people were hurt in the fire. WSVN reports that the most serious injury was a burn, but most of the injured passengers suffered only minor injuries.
The Broward County Sheriff’s Office retweeted that there were “several” injuries:
The National Transportation Safety Board said it would send a team to investigate the incident:
The fire was on Dynamic Airways flight 405, which was supposed to leave for Caracas, Venezuela at 12:30 p.m.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time