A 10-year-old boy was seriously injured in an apparent shark attack off the coast of Makaha in Hawaii on Wednesday.
Witnesses said the boy, who was body boarding, was bitten on the right thigh and also had bite marks on his other leg. A report said the injuries were “possibly from a marine animal.”
Mike Ward, who was nearby, told Hawaii News Now that he captured the attack on his GoPro camera without realizing it. After putting his camera down and going over to help, he asked the boy what was wrong, to which the child responded: “A shark is following me.”
Off-duty lifeguard Capt. Kelly Krohne also witnessed the attack and helped the boy get to shore by catching a wave.
The 10-year-old was taken to Queen’s Medical Center, and Ocean Safety officials posted warning signs about sharks on the beach near the attack.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction